National Incident Management System (NIMS)
The National Incident Management System (NIMS) provides a systematic, proactive approach to guide departments and agencies at all levels of government, nongovernmental organizations, and the private sector to work seamlessly to prevent, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate the effects of incidents, regardless of cause, size, location, or complexity, in order to reduce the loss of life and property and harm to the environment.
NIMS at the University
On May 26, 2011, the University of Miami formally adopted NIMS and began the 7 step process of “NIMS Compliance.” This process is being managed by the University’s Office of Emergency Management, in collaboration with Emergency Management at each campus. Questions and comments regarding NIMS may be directed to NIMS@miami.edu
The principles of NIMS are incorporated into the University’s Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan and therefore affect emergency/ disaster planning, training, exercises, Communication & Information Management, Resource Management, and Command & Management. The entire University Community needs to be aware of NIMS to fully understand Emergency Management.
ALL University personnel who have ANY role in emergency/ disaster mitigation, planning, response or recovery are required to complete NIMS training. There are four NIMS training tracks. The specific emergency/ disaster role of each University community member dictates which training track they need to complete.
NIMS training is facilitated through the University’s ULearn system. If you have an emergency/ disaster role and have not yet completed any NIMS training, please contact the Office of Emergency Management at NIMS@miami.edu. ULearn NIMS Certificates of Completion can also be emailed to NIMS@miami.edu for credit.
If you have previously completed the necessary NIMS training, but do not have your certificates of completion, please print and submit this Transcript Request Form.
Steps for Completion of NIMS Training without Logging in to ULearn
- Print the Final Exam Questions, circle your answers and save the physical document in case there are any issues with your exam submission and you have to re-enter your answers. (NOTE: The order of questions may change, but the questions themselves will not):
- IS-100.HCb or - IS-100.HE
- Read the course summaries:
- IS-100. HCb
- Identify answers to the Final Exam Questions accessed in Step #1.
- Read the instructions on how to fill out the Final Exam (MAKE SURE TO ENTER firstname.lastname@example.org into the exam form):
- Enter your answers into the online exam forms:
- Once Emergency Management receives the completion certificates at NIMS@miami.edu (with your name), you will be given credit in ULearn.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) maintains a NIMS Resource Center Website which provides more information. This site can be accessed through the following link: http://www.fema.gov/emergency/nims